[ 30-DAY WRITING CHALLENGE] PROMPT #3: Adultery

Prompt  #3: Adultery

The 1500th day

They fall in love on a hot summer day.

I met you in the dark
You lit me up
You made me feel as though
I was enough

When cheerful guitar permeates the air and fresh breeze caresses sweaty skin.

When tangy booze burns their tongue and they toss their hair back and dance without a care.

We dance the night away
We drank too much

When Jade’s green eyes meet with a pair of brown that twinkle in the bonfire’s light.

When thin fingers grasp at their hands and soft touches trail hot and cold on their shoulders. 

And they know they are screwed.  


I knew I loved you then
But you’d never know
‘cause I played it cool when I was scared of letting go

It has been years ago, when Jade has been young and naïve.

For the longest time, they have been happy with Andy. They have believed that good things will always last and that as long as there is love, a “happy-ever-after” is attainable.

They laugh. How pitiful they are to have thought so.

I know I needed you
But I never showed
But I wanna stay with you
Until we’re grey and old.

It is their four years’ anniversary when Jade realizes something is off.

The day starts wonderful. Andy wakes them up with a kiss that smells of strawberry and vanilla. It takes five minutes of coaxing for Jade to remove their face from Andy’s chest and stop clinging to their partner’s arm. Andy has taken a top surgery a month ago and Jade still cannot get over the feeling of smooth skin under their cheeks and the way Andy’s chest rises and falls unhindered by his binders. They are pouting, but the sour expression is soon wiped away with Andy’s famous breakfast in bed, with fruit-and-syrup-topped pancakes and freshly brewed coffee.

It would easily be the best, or at least one of the best, day of their relationship, with Andy’s childhood park as the main attraction and a candle-lit dinner to wrap up their evening.

But Jade soon realises that there is something on Andy’s mind. His brown eyes are unfocused when he sips expensive red wine. His browns furrow and forehead creases as he looks at Jade’s left hand at the edge of the table. And when Jade asks what is wrong, he just shakes his head and mumble a reticent “nothing”.

Jade has their suspicion, but they choose to ignore it for the day. 

Just say you won’t let go
Just say you won’t let go.

Things spiral down from then.

Jade will wake up in the middle of the night and see Andy still up, looking at his phone with a strange, almost fond, expression.

Jade will come down for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner, and Andy will have already finished and disappears.

He will go out more, with barely a “goodbye” and a chaste kiss pressed to Jade’s lips, and return late in the evening after their dinner.

And time and time again, Jade will find a reason to forgive him, and to reassure themselves.

Until they can’t anymore.  

I’m so in love with you
And I hope you know
Darling, your love is more than worth its weight in gold

Jade never tells Andy, but they have always been afraid.

Afraid that one day Andy will realise what a freak they are, and leave them.

Afraid that one day Andy will know that he deserves and can find a better person than the mess of anxiety and depression and instability that is Jade.

They are afraid that one day, all of their insecurity and thoughts and the voices in their head will overwhelm them and they will mess up the only good thing ever happens in their dull life.

And now, they believe that maybe all their fears are coming true. That maybe Andy has already found a better replacement for Jade’s sorry excuse of love.

Jade is not jealous, no. After all, what can they offer that Andy cannot find in someone else? They have no right for envy, and they know that.

They want to lash out at him; they want to cry, to laugh and to shout at the same time.

And the voices whisper: “Maybe he’d finally seen what a failure you are. He is leaving soon, why don’t you do it yourself and save him the trouble?”

And Jade breaks.

We’ve come so far my dear
Look how we’ve grown
And I wanna stay with you
Until we’re grey and old

Jade find themselves confronting Andy.

Their voice cold and void of emotion as they ask if he is cheating on them.

Their eyes sad and hurt as they accuse him for neglecting their relationship.

And their hands ball into fists, nails digging in their skins, as they suggest breaking up.

If they weren’t so heart-broken, Andy’s sheepish and regretful look would be hilarious.

They almost want to evade his hug. They almost want to push Andy away as his hand stroke their back and his lips whisper soft apologize to their ear.

I wanna live with you
Even when we’re ghost
‘Cause you’re always there for me
When I need you most

Andy gently pushes Jade from his embrace and Jade braces themselves for the “Goodye”.

Their eyes go wide as he kneels on the ground and pull out a green velvet box, the colour identical to the gem of their namesake.

Their hand shakes as he slides the ring, white gold and small diamonds on a rose-shapes base.

Tears flow down their cheeks.

Their cheeks twitch to contain their smile.

And their smile reaches their eyes and stretches their lips. 

I’m gonna love to you ‘till
My lungs give out
I promise to death we part
Like in that vow…

They look at the ring, made with so much love and time and effort, so much that Andy neglects the person whom he gives it to, so much that Jade almost breaks up with him, and can’t help but feel happiness bubbling in their chest. The voices are quiet, accepting their defeat and, hopefully, will never show their ugly faces again.

So I wrote this song for you
Now everybody knows
That it’s just you and me
Until we’re grey and old

“Jade Winston, I have been in love with you since the day I met you. I know you’ve been scared that someday I might leave you. But fear not, my beautiful person, because I would be a fool to abandon such a wonderful, perfect being such as you are. And I swear I will be there every day to remind you how much I love you. With this ring, I finally have to courage to ask: Jade, my love, my life, my everything, will you bestow upon me the honour of waking up with you in my arms every morning and go home to you every night and allow me to look at you, and cherish you, and be with you for eternity?”

“Jade, will you marry me?”

Jade is weak, and all they can do before falling into Andy’s arms is nodding the most quiet and loud ‘yes’.

Just say you won’t let go
Just say you won’t let go

Jade and Andy’s relationship ends on their 1500th day.

Their marriage starts on the 1501st.  


  







Comments

  1. Why Jade is presented by "they"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jade is a non-binary character. It means they see themselves as neither male or female and don't use gender-specific pronouns.

      Delete
  2. Same question as above, but it makes so much sense now...
    Even though the original purpose of the song is very much different, it fits so well with the story.
    Dual-writing (dunno what it is officially called :v) brought forth the charm of both the story and the lyrics. At first, they seemed to be falling apart just like the couple in the story, but in the end they became so fitted for each other, just like how they got back together and stepped up their relationship.
    A tear-jerking story. Imma report abuse :v

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooooo !!(ノ*゚Д゚)ノ don't report me ヽ(д`ヽ)。。 Thanks for the kind comment!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reassurance

Something Different